• Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
Emerald News Nigeria
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Emerald News Nigeria
No Result
View All Result

FUEL SUBSIDY: The unanswered question of palliatives

by Emerald Nigeria
June 11, 2023
in Special Report
ShareTweetShareShare

It’s been about two weeks since President Bola Ahmed Tinubu made the removal of fuel subsidy pronouncement. As expected, Nigerians expressed mixed reactions, stakeholders took different stands, but today, voices seem to have synchronized.

Perhaps, all dissenting opinions have been silenced, or better put, overwhelmed by the inevitable. The stark reality now is, that Nigeria must and indeed, has done away with fuel subsidy.

Consequently, the price of petrol skyrocketed from ₦195 to between ₦488 and ₦557 per litre. Obviously, Nigerians will have to grapple with the increased inflation that is sequel to the whole chart. It is against this backdrop that a public policy expert, Mr. Chukwuma Udeh, has posed the questions, what next? What is the plan for the poor masses?

Recall that the Federal Government had, under former President Muhammadu Buhari, borrowed $800 million from the World Bank, to be used as palliative, to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal on Nigerians.

According to Mr. Udeh, President Tinubu’s government has not shown the political will that it wants to alleviate the sufferings of the people in that regard. He said, “The palliative is supposed to have been put in place before the increase in fuel price. It’s been about 2 weeks now, yet nothing. Maybe they don’t think is necessary.”

“And the truth is that Nigerians are very adaptive and resilient too. As it is now, they have almost adjusted fully to the situation. NLC and TUC have been muted. Protests don’t help issues in this country. There’s nobody to fight for the masses. And so anything goes,” he lamented.

Also Read:

OPINION: Old APC Members on The Brink: The Danger of Handing Over APC Structure to New Defectors, By Ekene Kerry (Ika N.E)

JUST IN: Tinubu Launches Free JAMB Registration For 50,000 South East Students ‎

2027 Mandate Beyond Rhetoric: Why Senator Dafinone Remains A Critical Voice For Urhobo Nation

How Akpabio, Kalu Overpowered Nigerians, Pushed Manual Results Transmission on Throat of Voters ‎

The other day, President Tinubu was appealing to traditional leaders to persuade Nigerians into having faith that the price of petrol will some come down. So, concerned Nigerians have been asking, what about the $800 million?

Meanwhile, different groups have been calling for government intervention. In response, the Federal Government has repeatedly said that plans are underway to mitigate the sufferings which the hike in fuel price is causing the people.

In a recent statement, the Kano State Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), called out, “Government and other stakeholders should quickly create and provide ways and means to cushion the effects of fuel subsidy withdrawal on the public.”

Similarly, the House of Representatives, IPMAN, NLC, TUC and other groups have called for different measures to be adopted in order that the effect may not be too harsh on Nigerians.

Last week, President Tinubu reportedly directed the Vice President Kashim Shettima led National Economic Council (NEC) to begin the process of providing interventions to ameliorate the impact of removal of subsidy on fuel on the people.

The Group CEO of NNPC Ltd was also quoted as saying, “I am aware that Mr President has directed some engagement and some palliatives will be put in place, and I am very sure this will happen.”

On why nothing has been done yet, Mr. Udeh said, “The delay is nothing unusual. It is what is known as the Nigerian factor. Some people have to die first and many others impoverished the more, before maybe, money will be released to cater for them.

“And even then, the money will be released chiefly on Newspapers, Radio and Television as usual. Few selected individuals will receive some token, while the bulk of the money will be diverted into private pockets. It happened during COVID-19 and End-SARS protest. Hopefully, it will be different under this administration,” he expressed.

Yes, fuel subsidy is gone and there is no going back, authorities have said. But is that all? Nigerians are still asking.

ShareTweetShareSend
Previous Post

REVEALED: Check how long Emefiele will be in DSS custody in Abuja

Next Post

What Ohanaeze Ndigbo will do as DSS begins investigation of Emefiele

Related Posts

You need to read what Tinubu said after tribunal victory

Nigeria’s Ongoing Crisis: Over 1,250 People Killed in First 41 Days of 2026, Reports Say

February 14, 2026
BIPOGA2026: Nigeria Police Games Kick Off With Renewed Push for Professional Excellence

BIPOGA2026: Nigeria Police Games Kick Off With Renewed Push for Professional Excellence

February 14, 2026
BREAKING: President, wife test positive to COVID-19

What Trump Plans To Do To US Soldiers Who Captured Venezuela President

February 13, 2026
Visa ban: APC chieftain thumbs up for US, makes recommendations to monarchs over Nigerians listed by US

Explosive Allegation: Former Presidential Candidate Named in U.S. Terrorism List ‎

February 13, 2026
Visa ban: APC chieftain thumbs up for US, makes recommendations to monarchs over Nigerians listed by US

Nigeria’s political party rises against United States, and here’s why

February 13, 2026
What El-Rufai Said After Citizens Blocked His Arrest At Abuja Airport

What El-Rufai Said After Citizens Blocked His Arrest At Abuja Airport

February 12, 2026
Next Post
What Ohanaeze Ndigbo will do as DSS begins investigation of Emefiele

What Ohanaeze Ndigbo will do as DSS begins investigation of Emefiele

Trending

  • JUST IN: Former Cross River Governor Donald Duke Gets Appointment

    JUST IN: Former Cross River Governor Donald Duke Gets Appointment

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: NAPPS Suspends All Delta Exco Members, Demands Immediate Handover of All Official Documents

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING: Governor Gets Powerful National Appointment From President Tinubu

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fresh Rift Rocks APC in Delta North as Ward Chairmen Protest Congress Outcome

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • What El-Rufai Said After Citizens Blocked His Arrest At Abuja Airport

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • 2027: Amaechi Reveals Who Should Be ADC Presidential Candidate

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: I’ll soon be arrested by federal authorities, former governor opens up

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Governor Oborevwori Makes Fresh Appointments

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING: Former Governor To Be Severely Punished For This Action Against National Security

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Delta APC Leaders From 17 LGAs Demand Zoning State Chairman To Delta North

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Latest Stories

OPINION: Old APC Members on The Brink: The Danger of Handing Over APC Structure to New Defectors, By Ekene Kerry (Ika N.E)

February 18, 2026

JUST IN: Tinubu Launches Free JAMB Registration For 50,000 South East Students ‎

February 18, 2026

2027 Mandate Beyond Rhetoric: Why Senator Dafinone Remains A Critical Voice For Urhobo Nation

February 18, 2026

How Akpabio, Kalu Overpowered Nigerians, Pushed Manual Results Transmission on Throat of Voters ‎

February 18, 2026

BREAKING: Governor Gets Powerful National Appointment From President Tinubu

February 17, 2026

Delta Central Set for Grassroots Healthcare Boost as New Health Fellows Prepare for Inauguration

February 17, 2026

Governor Oborevwori Makes Fresh Appointments

February 17, 2026

Senator Nwoko, Other Lawmakers Demand Justification as Federal Ministry Budgets Come Under Scrutiny ‎

February 17, 2026

NDLEA Apprehends Nigerian Businessman, Angolan Nationals With 236 Wraps Of Cocaine In Airports

February 17, 2026

United States Imposes Sanctions on 8 Nigerians for Terror, Cybercrime Links ‎

February 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Emerald News Nigeria
  • Inside Delta
    • Niger Delta
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Relationship
  • Special Report

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.