The election season is fully upon us and campaigns for the 2023 general elections have officially commenced.
The campaign season is a time for various political parties to sell its candidates for different positions to the electorate.
Also, campaign tours to different states and region allow various candidates to convince electorates to buy into their ideologies, programmes and promises of what to do if elected into office.
Beyond the campaigns, one’s safety and security is of utmost importance. To stay safe and secure in Nigeria, one must be very sensitive and security conscious in order not to be a victim of the bad happenings.
In some cases, campaigns, rallies may be peaceful, but at other times, it may end up being chaotic and dangerous. It is unpredictable. It is thus, imperative to stay safe during this season and avoid bringing harm to yourself.
For those who are concerned about safety, here are the security measures you need to take:
1. Don’t stay out late: During this campaign season, ensure you try and finish whatever you are doing early especially work schedule and head on home before it gets dark. Some people use the cover of the night to perpetrate their evil acts as they see it as an opportunity.
2. Don’t argue unnecessarily about political parties or candidates: Heated arguments may lead to fights or confrontations. So, wherever you find yourself during this season, try to avoid political arguments about the different parties and candidates. Keep your political choices to yourself, and if you need to market your candidate, do it with utmost civility.
3. Be cautious in wearing political parties insignia, logo or emblem: When going out during this campaign season, wear a normal shirt or t-shirt that is not branded with any parties logo or campaign text to avoid attacks from opposition parties, prevent mistaken identity and possible victimization.
4. It is very important that you always keep your family and loved ones informed about your movement. This cannot be overemphasized. Keeping your loved ones consistently informed about where you are going can save you from danger. Sending pictures or the address of the location or the picture of the person you are visiting can keep you safe from danger. Call them consistently to assure them that you are okay.
5. During this season, monitor your blood pressure: Your health is of utmost importance. Whoever wins in the end, life goes on, so being consciously controlling your reactions can help keep your blood pressure intact.
6. Be security conscious: Avoid moving through areas reputed for violence, especially at night. Series of reports on outbreaks of campaign-related violence may emerged so take security measures seriously.
Be aware of your surroundings, don’t be aloof. Stay informed of the areas that are commonly used to hold political rallies and avoid them if you can, especially when a rally is going on, just to be safe.
7. Avoid abusive, intemperate, slanderous language or insinuations or innuendos designed or likely to provoke violent reactions or emotions.
It is advisable that campaigns are conducted to engender a free and open discussion. It should be no less muscular and lively.