The Ondo governorship election has come and gone. There were three major contenders. The incumbent governor, who is APC candidate, Rotimi Akeredolu; Eyitayo Jegede of the People’s Democratic Party and Ajayi Agboola, deputy governor and candidate of Zenith Labour Party. But the incumbent governor emerged victorious.
Let’s see some reasons why he emerged victorious.
1. The power of incumbency: As an incumbent governor, he has some level of influence and financial power to sway the people. He still has some power to control certain aspects of INEC and security, especially being on the same party with the federal government.
2. He was very dogged and bold. He was not intimidated by the seeming opposition against him especially from his deputy who contested against him on the Zenith Labour Party platform.
3. Intervention of the federal government. The federal government did not leave him alone as in the case of Edo state. Buhari was once quotes to have said: “I have no doubt that Governor Akeredolu is a good brand for the APC to market.” So, he has some significant support from the federal government.
4. Timely suspension of Adams Oshiomhole. The suspension of the former chairman not the party assisted him in diverse ways to win the election. There was no such bickering and argument in the party.
5. Vote-buying by party agents across the state. There was massive vote buying by party agents. Since it is the government in power, it had the financial wherewithal to influence votes among the people.