• Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Friday, February 20, 2026
Emerald News Nigeria
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Emerald News Nigeria
No Result
View All Result

Benin Republic sends Sunday Igboho to prison with no date to appear in court

by Emerald Nigeria
July 28, 2021
in Crime
ShareTweetShareShare

Also Read:

A Legal Standoff Cripples This Nigerian State for Years, Until This Ruling Changes Everything

Court Blocks Rivers CJ From Accepting Governor’s Impeachment Notice From House of Assembly

You Need To Read What Governor Okpebholo Told AAU VC, SUG President When He Visited Ekpoma Over Jailing of 52 Youths

Amidst Hot Tears, Mothers Handover Water, Drinks, Money As Edo Jails 52 Youths Over Ekpoma Anti-Kidnapping Protest

Sunday Adeyemo (Igboho), standing trial in the Benin Republic has told the court that he fled Nigeria to avoid being killed.

The Yoruba nation agitator, who was arrested on July 19 with his wife while attempting to travel to Germany, has been charged with illegal entry into the Benin Republic.

He is also explaining his mission in Cotonou, the Benin Republic capital.

The court ruled that he should be relocated to prison from police custody.

Igboho’s lawyer, David Ibrahim Salami, told The Nation in Cotonou what transpired at the Benin Court of Appeal on Monday where the agitator appeared before three judges.

He was in court from 7:30 am till about midnight.

Salami, a Professor of Law in a Beninoise University, said: “While defending himself on the criminal allegations put on his head by Nigeria, Igboho told the judges that he had never been tried for any crime in his life.”

According to Salami, Igboho said he had neither been invited to any police station nor any formal charges brought against him as a result of his agitation for the separation of Yoruba nation from Nigeria.

He explained that he was only trying to free ‘his people’ from the atrocities of killer-herdsmen, which made him incur the wrath of some powerful individuals in government.

“When the judge asked him how and when he entered the Benin Republic, who housed him and who took him to the airport, Igboho told the court that his coming to the Benin Republic was to flee from his traducers who wanted to kill him in Nigeria.

“He stressed that he spent less than one day in Cotonou before attempting to travel to Germany,” Salami added.

The lawyer spoke further: “What amazed me is the fact that the judge was explicit that Igboho’s continued detention is not as a result of his issues with Nigeria, that he is being sent to prison because of infractions committed here in the Benin Republic.”

Salami said Igboho was sent to prison to allow investigation into how he came into Cotonou and why.

Salami said no date had been fixed for the continuation of trial because the authorities would need time to investigate how Igboho entered the country.

He said Benin Republic law allows Igboho to be admitted to bail pending the outcome of the investigation.

On why the trial is behind the curtain, he added that it is when investigations are concluded that the judgment can be read in the open court.

Igboho, according to the lawyer, showed discomfort as a result of bruises he suffered when the Department of State Services (DSS) attacked his residence on July 1.

As a result, Igboho was allowed to sit throughout Monday’s court sessions instead of standing before the judges.

As a prison inmate, he will be entitled to medical services if there is a need, unlike when he was in police custody.

Salami said Igboho’s trial, which began from an extradition request from the Nigerian authorities, is now centred solely on whether or not he broke the laws of the Benin Republic.

The primary task now is to establish whether the embattled activist entered Cotonou through legal or illegal routes, and what his mission was meant to achieve, the lawyer said.

Salami said the Nigerian authority had not filed any papers against Igboho.

“We have also not seen any written complaints from Nigeria being placed before the court. It is a case between the Benin Republic and Sunday Igboho – nothing more,” he explained.

Explaining why Monday’s proceeding was prolonged, Salami said it needed to be so because the trial is being handled by three judges whose functions and powers are different but complementary: prosecution judge, investigative judge, and judge of liberty or detention.

He said the matter before the prosecution judge office did not commence until 2 pm. Reason: the enormity of tasks the prosecutor’s office needed to handle. The trial then moved to the investigative judge by 3 pm, lasting till around 6pm.

It was the judge of liberty or detention, who took over from his investigative colleague at night that ruled that more time is needed for the court to establish the true reasons behind Igboho’s coming to the Benin Republic.

Like hundreds of Igboho’s supporters who came to show solidarity on Monday, his wife, Ropo was also in court.

Throughout the day, she was seen entering and coming out of the special room where her husband was kept in the court. She had earlier been released and her German passport released to her.

Tags: Benin RepubliccourtprisonSunday Igboho
ShareTweetShareSend
Previous Post

Lady regrets signing surety for boy friend, says he absconded with company’s money

Next Post

One die, 14 escape death as multiple autocrash causes pandemonium in Anambra

Related Posts

Gunmen behead security operative, cut off their feet, kill 7 as heavy gunfire blast through fun seeking community

Armed Gunmen Ambush, Kill Three Herders in Central Nigeria’s Plateau State

February 20, 2026
Two Pakistani, Nigerians nabbed for drug trafficking

NDLEA Apprehends Nigerian Businessman, Angolan Nationals With 236 Wraps Of Cocaine In Airports

February 17, 2026
Are you a parent or guardian? This your bad habit will kill your child right in your face (Check it out)

United States Imposes Sanctions on 8 Nigerians for Terror, Cybercrime Links ‎

February 17, 2026
EFCC arrests GO using Theobarth Foundation to defraud Nigerian Christians with guise of grants from Ford Foundation

Another Former Nigerian Governor Voluntarily Surrenders Self To EFCC ‎

February 17, 2026
Insecurity:Armed men murders two passengers,abucts three others in Katsina

Schools Shut, Businesses Closed As Threat Letter From Bandits Sparks Mass Exodus in Southern Kwara

February 14, 2026
How Nigerian army invaded Enugu churches, disrupted Christmas eve services, murdered Two

Nigeria Deploys Troops After Deadly Militant Attack Kills at Least 75 Civilians in Central Region

February 5, 2026
Next Post
One die, 14 escape death as multiple autocrash causes pandemonium in Anambra

One die, 14 escape death as multiple autocrash causes pandemonium in Anambra

Trending

  • JUST IN: President Tinubu approves establishment of federal university in Delta, 7 others

    BREAKING: Governor Gets Powerful National Appointment From President Tinubu

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: NAPPS Suspends All Delta Exco Members, Demands Immediate Handover of All Official Documents

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fresh Rift Rocks APC in Delta North as Ward Chairmen Protest Congress Outcome

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Governor Oborevwori Makes Fresh Appointments

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING: Former Governor To Be Severely Punished For This Action Against National Security

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Delta APC Leaders From 17 LGAs Demand Zoning State Chairman To Delta North

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Phone Seized! Name Removed!! Senate Drama as Senator Locked Out of Regional Development Budget Review

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Controversial 2027 Election Dates: INEC Takes Fresh Decision After Heavy Backlash From Stakeholders

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Senator Natasha Announces 7 Takeaways From Electoral Act 2026

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Finally, Fubara Surrenders, Says Without Wike I Wouldn’t Be Governor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Latest Stories

Nigeria’s Opposition Party Warns of Nationwide Mobilisation Over Controversial Electoral Law

February 20, 2026

Armed Gunmen Ambush, Kill Three Herders in Central Nigeria’s Plateau State

February 20, 2026

Deliver on Time or Lose Future Jobs, Oborevwori Gives Matching Order to Contractors

February 19, 2026

APC Conducts Hitch-Free Ward 8 Congress in Aniocha North, Names New Party Executives

February 18, 2026

Ede Dafinone Hails Unity as APC Ward 1 Congress Holds Peacefully in Sapele

February 18, 2026

Senator Natasha Announces 7 Takeaways From Electoral Act 2026

February 18, 2026

Pregnant Women, Caregivers, Hospital Attendants Hit As EFCC Operatives Fire Teargas At Protesters

February 18, 2026

World Civil Rights Legend, Advocate of Equality Dies at 84

February 18, 2026

REVEALED: How Owo Church Massacre Was Planned, Funded, Executed in 2022

February 18, 2026

You can’t escape punishment, group tells former Nigerian governor

February 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Emerald News Nigeria
  • Inside Delta
    • Niger Delta
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Relationship
  • Special Report

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.