JUST IN: Political thugs kill party chairman after organizing meeting between Reps member, her constituents

The Chairman of Nanka Ward 1 of the Young Progressive Party (YPP) in Orumba North Local Government Area of Anambra State, Chief Joe Mohale, has been shot dead.

According to eyewitnesses, Chief Mohale was killed by political thugs on Saturday night after organizing a meeting between the member representing Orumba North and South in the Federal House of Representatives, Hon Princess Chinwe Nnabuife and her Nanka constituents.

It was gathered that Nnebiife was warned not to step into Nanka for the rerun election in some polling units in the community.

Another source in the area said the meeting was in respect of a recent Appeal Court ruling that ordered a re-run election between Nnabuife and the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party for the Orumba North and South Federal Constituency in the 2023 general election, Okwudili Ezenwankwo.

The meeting was said to have been organised by the deceased for the House of Representatives member, Nnabuife, and members of the constituency.

“The unidentified persons, who arrived in a Lexus 350 SUV, fired several shots into the air before fatally shooting Mohale at the village hall. They also kidnapped one person.

“Nnabuife was threatened not to campaign in Nanka where the Appeal Court ordered for a rerun election. But on Saturday, she went to hold a meeting with YPP members in Nanka Ward 1.

“The meeting was organised by Mohele. Immediately after Nnabuife left, some political thugs arrived at the venue in an SUV vehicle and opened fire on the ward chairman.”

When contacted, the state chairman of YPP, Moses Obi, confirmed the development but said the details were still sketchy.

“Yes, we have heard about it, but we don’t have the full details yet. We are preparing to reach the community and by the time we have all the full details, we will let you know,” Obi added.

In his reaction when contacted, the State police spokesperson DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the command had not received any information regarding the incident.

The PPRO, however, urged the affected persons to visit the nearest police station and lodge a report about the incident, for further action.