Governor Godwin Obaseki and his deputy, Philip Shaibu have a few persons to thank for the victory they secured in the just concluded Edo2020 elections.
The governorship election that has generated so much hit in the state has finally come and gone. 14 political parties and candidates were on the ballot box but only two were actually prominent from the beginning of campaigns till Saturday, September 19 when the election was held.
It was held across the 18 local government areas of the state. The result was an overwhelming victory for Godwin Obaseki, the incumbent governor and his deputy, Philip Shaibu.
But some persons need be mentioned who played critical role in the success of Governor Obaseki.
- God is number one in the role of honours. The Bible has said God rules in the kingdom of men and gives it to whoever he will. So, the victory of Obaseki is an act of God.
- President Muhammadu Buhari also played a critical role. It may sound strange but it is true. The president did not mobilise soldiers and police to impose his party candidate on the people of Edo state. He had the power to have done that, but he allowed the process to run on its own and let the true winner emerge.
- Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers state is a great man of the Niger Delta. His presence in Benin City sent shivers down the spine of APC leaders, even the candidate, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu. He was heard making a phone call where he complained of Wike being in Edo state. Wike’s presence added some spice to the victory of Obaseki.
- Governor Ifeanyi Okowa and Sdeyi Makinde of Oyo States were on ground to ensure everything went very well for their party, the PDP.
- Adams Oshiomhole’s sack from the party, his campaign against Ize-iyamu in 2016 and his loquacious tongue also helped Obaseki to win the election. It may be surprising but true.
- Edo people who rejected godfatherism and voted their choice as their governor.