• Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Monday, August 17, 2026
Emerald News Nigeria
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Emerald News Nigeria
No Result
View All Result

Former head of state, 7 top military leaders jailed for 20 years, and here’s their crime

by Emerald Nigeria
August 1, 2024
in Crime
ShareTweetShareShare

A Guinean court has sentenced ex-dictator Moussa Dadis Camara to 20 years in jail for crimes against humanity on Wednesday, after a landmark trial over a 2009 massacre at a political rally.

Seven other defendants were handed terms of up to life imprisonment at the end of the trial that played out over nearly two years, in a judgement welcomed by rights activists.

Security forces had been massively deployed for the hearing, in a case keenly awaited by victims’ families for nearly 15 years.

Just before sentencing, the court had announced the charges would be classified as crimes against humanity.

The court also ordered for compensation to be paid to the victims, running from 200 million to 1.5 billion Guinean francs ($23,000 to $174,000).

On September 28, 2009 and in the following days, members of Dadis Camara’s presidential guard, soldiers, police and militia brutally suppressed an opposition rally at a stadium in the suburbs of Conakry.

Also Read:

Azikel group, Eruani threatens to drag Perekeme Fidelis Perekeme to court over alleged defamatory publication, demands retraction within 48 hours

BREAKING: Court Sentences 3 Suspects Linked to Oyo School Abduction to Life Imprisonment

Senator Nwoko’s Legal Team to Appeal Court Ruling on Okowa’s APC Senatorial Candidacy

PHOTOS: See Photos of 48 Properties Malami Forfeited to FG

In one of the darkest chapters in the West African nation’s history, at least 156 people were killed, hundreds more wounded and 109 women raped, according to a UN-mandated commission of inquiry.

“This trial is of the utmost importance to me,” Kadiatou Sow, who was raped during the massacre and its aftermath, told AFP before the sentencing.

“I want these soldiers to pay a heavy price with sentences befitting their crimes,” added Sow, who also lost her husband in the violence.

Alfa Amadou DS Bah, lead lawyer for the plaintiffs in the case, underlined the importance of the judgement.

“It’s the first time a former head of state has been convicted for such serious crimes, and senior military officers too,” he said.

“I think that this decision must sound the toll against impunity in this country. It’s a great relief for the victims,” he added.

Human Rights Watch also welcomed the judgement.

“The Guinean court’s landmark verdict offers long-awaited justice for victims,” said Tamara Aburamadan, an international justice legal counsel for HRW.

“It puts high-level perpetrators in Guinea and elsewhere on notice that justice can prevail.”

Ten of the 12 accused were present to hear the court’s judgement.

Former junta chief Dadis Camara, dressed in a traditional green and yellow boubou, remained motionless as the verdict was read by the court in the capital Conakry.

Along with 11 other government and military officials, Dadis Camara had been accused of murder, sexual violence, torture, abduction and kidnapping.

He always denied any responsibility, blaming his subordinates.

The trial — which began on September 28, 2022, the anniversary of the killings — gripped the West African nation, with the courtroom drama carried on television and radio.

Judges heard from 11 defendants — who blamed each other for the massacre during the trial — as well as a dozen witnesses. Around 100 victims provided chilling testimonies.

The chief prosecutor had called for Dadis Camara and other defendants to be sentenced to life in prison.

Defence lawyers had argued that reclassifying the charges as crimes against humanity on the day of the ruling would rob them of an opportunity to defend themselves and infringe their right to a fair trial.

Both the accused and the plaintiffs have 15 days to appeal the verdict. The prosecutor’s office will have two months.

The trial has taken place against a background of repression of both the opposition to Guinea’s military rulers and the media.

The day before the verdict, protests against the “forced disappearance” of pro-democracy activists Oumar Sylla and Mamadou Billo Bah paralysed parts of Conakry, with several injured in clashes between demonstrators and the police.

Though the authorities deny holding the pair, civil society organisations say they are being held incommunicado. They have called for further demonstrations.

International organisations and human rights activists have highlighted the unprecedented nature of the trial in Guinea.

It is the first of its kind to challenge the impunity of the country’s security forces, which are seldom held to account, according to the UN probe.

Source: Vanguard News
Tags: courtGuinea
ShareTweetShareSend
Previous Post

Your attack against Governor Diri, Lokpobiri, indecorous—Ex-Reps member slams Sylva, says Atuwo, lead anti-Tinubu protest planner, Sylva’s associate

Next Post

Banks, other financial institutions shut as nationwide protest begins

Related Posts

Police Gun Down Unarmed Trader Over  Vegetables- Officer Arrested

Police Gun Down Unarmed Trader Over Vegetables- Officer Arrested

August 16, 2026
N1.5 Billion or Nothing: Anambra Billionaire’s Kidnappers Play Hardball as Talks Collapse

N1.5 Billion or Nothing: Anambra Billionaire’s Kidnappers Play Hardball as Talks Collapse

August 14, 2026
Fresh Terror: Gunmen Storm 4 Plateau Communities, Kill 2, Raze Homes in Night of Blood

Fresh Terror: Gunmen Storm 4 Plateau Communities, Kill 2, Raze Homes in Night of Blood

August 12, 2026
Gunmen Strike at Farmsettlement Snatch Poultry Farmer – Family Faces N500M Ransom Nightmare

Gunmen Strike at Farmsettlement Snatch Poultry Farmer – Family Faces N500M Ransom Nightmare

August 11, 2026
BULLETS & BREAKTHROUGH: DSS Raid Smashes Church Attack Gang—4 AK-47s Seized, 3 Suspects

BULLETS & BREAKTHROUGH: DSS Raid Smashes Church Attack Gang—4 AK-47s Seized, 3 Suspects

August 11, 2026
FROM WARDROBE TO CELL: Ogun Police Seize Weapons, Bust Cults, and Nab 23 Foreign Fraudsters in 7-Day Blitz

FROM WARDROBE TO CELL: Ogun Police Seize Weapons, Bust Cults, and Nab 23 Foreign Fraudsters in 7-Day Blitz

August 10, 2026
Next Post
Youths humiliate governor, shout him down as he speaks against nationwide protest over bad governance

Banks, other financial institutions shut as nationwide protest begins

Trending

  • News Analysis: Curtailing sickle cell disorder in Delta state

    News Analysis: Curtailing sickle cell disorder in Delta state

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Vacancy Announcement!! Livestock Nutritionist Needed! Apply Now

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NAPPS Delta Elects Interim Exco as New Executive Pledges Stronger Advocacy for Private Schools

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Delta Governor Sends Commissioner on Indefinite Suspension

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • (Watch Video): Leaked S3x tape of another Nigerian celebrity is shared online, victim reacts as her video goes viral

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Stop Calling Them Ogbanje — Tobore Oborevwori Advocates for Children with Special Needs in Ika Federal Constituency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Osun Poll: Violence Forces ADC Candidate to Flee

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Jarvis explains why she shaved her head before wedding

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING: Tension in Osun as Armed Security Operatives Lay Siege to Speaker’s Residence on Election Day

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Delta road crisis traps farmers, threatens food trade

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Latest Stories

BREAKING: Anambra Police Declare War On Extortion – CP Launches 24/7 Checkpoint Monitoring

August 16, 2026

Police Gun Down Unarmed Trader Over Vegetables- Officer Arrested

August 16, 2026

Adeleke Shocks Nation: Re-Elected Osun Governor Pledges Support for Tinubu’s 2027 Re-Election Bid

August 16, 2026

Billionaire’s Last Wish or Family Betrayal? Court Seizes Bode Akindele’s Empire as War Over His Will Turns Ugly!

August 16, 2026

No Sleep in Osogbo! Adeleke Triumphs Again, and the City Roars with Unstoppable Jubilation

August 16, 2026

Kim backs Putin as Russia ties deepen

August 16, 2026

Adeleke Takes Early Lead in Osun Poll

August 16, 2026

Adeleke Demands Fair Osun Vote Count

August 15, 2026

Adeleke Wins Polling Unit with 421 Votes as Osun Collation Begins – IReV Shows 1,386 Results Uploaded

August 15, 2026

Osun Governorship Election: INEC Hits 26.87% Result Upload on IReV Portal

August 15, 2026
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Emerald News Nigeria
  • Inside Delta
    • Niger Delta
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Relationship
  • Special Report

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.