• Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Monday, August 17, 2026
Emerald News Nigeria
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Emerald News Nigeria
No Result
View All Result

What happened to Nigerian Senator after fraudsters hacked his phone

by Emerald Nigeria
January 15, 2024
in Crime
ShareTweetShareShare

Also Read:

Lagos Cracks Down on Businesses as Waste Rule Violations Trigger Shop Closures

Lagos Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises to 9 as Rescue Operations Conclude

DAVIS CUP: Four Decades of Waiting End As Victor Ochei Sparks Nigeria’s Tennis Revival

Father Demands Answers After Son Found Dead in Lagos Hotel Swimming Pool

Friends of former federal lawmaker, Tokunbo Afikuyomi on Saturday, lost millions of naira to fraudsters who had earlier hacked the WhatsApp number of the Lagos politician.

Having succeeded in taking control of the use of the app, the criminal elements, according to Afikuyomi, sent messages to his contacts, soliciting financial help on his behalf.

Although some of the friends were clever enough to alert him; others heeded the call for help by transferring various amounts of money to the account numbers provided by the criminal gang.

Recounting his ordeal in a statement sent to The PUNCH on Sunday, the ex-lawmaker said, “Yesterday morning (January 13), some scammers hacked my phone line and temporarily seized control of my WhatsApp messages. They then sent fraudulent messages to some of my contacts requesting that they transfer some money on my behalf.

“Many of my friends quickly called me up on the regular phone while some others spoke with my aides to alert me.

However, unfortunately, a few others did not suspect that anything was wrong. They innocently complied with the fake request and made transfers of millions of naira to the various account numbers in different banks supplied by the scammers.”

Aware of the danger that lurked ahead, Afikuyomi said he quickly alerted the relevant authorities to track the fraudsters and reveal their identities.

He continued, “I immediately complained to the relevant security and regulatory agencies and I thank the anti-fraud unit of the police for springing into action immediately.

“Their efforts led to identifying some of the account numbers and the details of the respective owners through which the scammers collected various sums of money. The security agents are also already deploying technology to geo-locate the perpetrators. Investigations by relevant agencies are still ongoing.

“Meanwhile, I have suspended the use of my WhatsApp number till the authorities can conclude their investigations and I can now put more security measures in place to protect the line. I can only be reached through regular phone calls on the same number,” he added.

Expressing displeasure with the nation’s banking system, Afikuyomi wondered how it was possible for scammers to have succeeded in fraudulently opening accounts for the sole purpose of defrauding others.

“I must at this stage express my dismay with the lack of due diligence in the bank account opening and maintenance system in our country. This is what has come out so far in the investigation of this phone hacking scam.

“The scammers opened so many bank accounts without supplying the banks with the necessary security checks and details required by the law. In the same manner, it is now obvious that some of the Over Top Media Services providers do not fully comply with the provision of Nigeria’s Data Privacy and Protection Laws,” he added even as he vowed to go the whole distance in helping relevant agencies to smash the syndicate.

“I hereby express my determination to do everything within the law to smash this evil syndicate that has brought pain and tears to many people within Nigeria and those in the diaspora.

“Let me use this opportunity to thank everyone whose prompt response is helping to reduce the impact of this weekend scam. The Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, Director General of the National Financial Intelligence Agency, Modibo Hamman Tukur, and the Deputy Governor (Corporate Services), Central Bank of Nigeria, Bala Bello, deserve special mention for their efforts in unveiling the perpetrators of this crime.

“This crime is an indication of the perilous times that we live in when the technology that was invented to make life easy for all of us has also become a source of endangering our lives and properties.

“We therefore need to be more careful, cautious, and discerning in responding to some of the messages being sent to us purportedly by our acquaintances. It is usually good to double-check the supposed source of the message, particularly if it involves a request for a transfer of money.

“This is the reality of the new age of technology in which we live. It has come with its impersonal, impassioned, distrustful, and distasteful challenges,” he further said

Tags: hackersLagosScammersTokunbo Afikuyomi
ShareTweetShareSend
Previous Post

Supreme court reserves judgment in APC’s appeal against Rivers governor, Fubara

Next Post

REVEALED: President Tinubu approved the N3bn for which Betta Edu is suspended, see approval letter from Gbajabiamila’s office

Related Posts

Fake Pregnancy, Real Crime: Teen Stole Day-Old Baby to Keep Her Secret

Fake Pregnancy, Real Crime: Teen Stole Day-Old Baby to Keep Her Secret

August 17, 2026
Police Gun Down Unarmed Trader Over  Vegetables- Officer Arrested

Police Gun Down Unarmed Trader Over Vegetables- Officer Arrested

August 16, 2026
N1.5 Billion or Nothing: Anambra Billionaire’s Kidnappers Play Hardball as Talks Collapse

N1.5 Billion or Nothing: Anambra Billionaire’s Kidnappers Play Hardball as Talks Collapse

August 14, 2026
Fresh Terror: Gunmen Storm 4 Plateau Communities, Kill 2, Raze Homes in Night of Blood

Fresh Terror: Gunmen Storm 4 Plateau Communities, Kill 2, Raze Homes in Night of Blood

August 12, 2026
Gunmen Strike at Farmsettlement Snatch Poultry Farmer – Family Faces N500M Ransom Nightmare

Gunmen Strike at Farmsettlement Snatch Poultry Farmer – Family Faces N500M Ransom Nightmare

August 11, 2026
BULLETS & BREAKTHROUGH: DSS Raid Smashes Church Attack Gang—4 AK-47s Seized, 3 Suspects

BULLETS & BREAKTHROUGH: DSS Raid Smashes Church Attack Gang—4 AK-47s Seized, 3 Suspects

August 11, 2026
Next Post
REVEALED: President Tinubu approved the N3bn for which Betta Edu is suspended, see approval letter from Gbajabiamila’s office

REVEALED: President Tinubu approved the N3bn for which Betta Edu is suspended, see approval letter from Gbajabiamila's office

Trending

  • News Analysis: Curtailing sickle cell disorder in Delta state

    News Analysis: Curtailing sickle cell disorder in Delta state

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Vacancy Announcement!! Livestock Nutritionist Needed! Apply Now

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NAPPS Delta Elects Interim Exco as New Executive Pledges Stronger Advocacy for Private Schools

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Delta Governor Sends Commissioner on Indefinite Suspension

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • (Watch Video): Leaked S3x tape of another Nigerian celebrity is shared online, victim reacts as her video goes viral

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Stop Calling Them Ogbanje — Tobore Oborevwori Advocates for Children with Special Needs in Ika Federal Constituency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Osun Poll: Violence Forces ADC Candidate to Flee

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Jarvis explains why she shaved her head before wedding

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING: Tension in Osun as Armed Security Operatives Lay Siege to Speaker’s Residence on Election Day

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Delta road crisis traps farmers, threatens food trade

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Latest Stories

I’m Putting It Behind Me – Adeleke Withdraws EFCC Suit After Tinubu’s Intervention, Points Finger at Oyetola

August 17, 2026

‘Don’t Fail Your People’: Obasanjo Makes Surprise Visit to Adeleke’s Home, Issues Strong Charge After Landslide Re-election

August 17, 2026

African Oil Experts Reverse Call for NNPCL Chief’s Removal

August 17, 2026

Nigeria 2027: ADC vows to unseat ruling APC

August 17, 2026

Arsenal push for Osimhen

August 17, 2026

Nigerian reality star Neche exits BBNaija Season 11

August 17, 2026

Fake Pregnancy, Real Crime: Teen Stole Day-Old Baby to Keep Her Secret

August 17, 2026

Bloodbath in Plateau: 45 Homes Razed, Dozens Slaughtered as Militants Unleash Terror on Jwak Maitumbi

August 17, 2026

Nigeria opposition unites in bid to challenge Tinubu in 2027

August 17, 2026

EFCC Strikes Gold: $60 Million Forced from Nestoil in Landmark Debt Recovery

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Emerald News Nigeria
  • Inside Delta
    • Niger Delta
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Relationship
  • Special Report

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.