The Federal Government did not begin the evacuation of stranded Nigerians from conflict-torn Sudan on Tuesday as promised earlier by the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, had, on Sunday, said the evacuation would commence by Tuesday.
The conflict in Sudan which began about 10 days ago has recorded loss of over hundreds of persons. The conflict generated in Sudan’s capital between the forces of the two rival generals.
Over 80 per cent of Nigerians in Sudan are students, according to Onyeama.
According to a report by Daily Trust, the President, National Association of Nigerian Students in Sudan, Abubakar Babangida, said the evacuation of stranded Nigerians in the troubled country had not commenced.
While complaining that the communication network in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, had been bad, Babangida said he was not sure when the evacuation of the stranded Nigerian students would take place.
He, however, acknowledged that efforts were being made by the Nigerian government to rescue the stranded students.
Leave a Reply