Home Politics Trouble bursts out in Ngige’s community over call to banish traditional ruler

Trouble bursts out in Ngige’s community over call to banish traditional ruler

0
Trouble bursts out in Ngige’s community over call to banish traditional ruler

BY SUNNY DAVID

Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige’s Alor community, says it has uncovered plot by some people to hire thugs to cause mayhem in the area over the call to banish the community monarch, Igwe MacAnthony Okonkwo from the community.

As a result, the community through its leadership, has petitioned Governor Willie Obiano, the state commissioner of police and the state director, Department of State Services, DSS, to come to their aid.

The traditional ruler of Alor, Okonkwo, was one of the 12 monarchs suspended for one year by the Anambra state government for travelling to Abuja recently without permission.

But the traditional ruler, in his apology to Governor Willie Obiano immediately, said they went to visit President Muhammadu Buhari to thank him on his developmental strides in the South East and for him to do more for them.

The monarch further said he had no intention to disrespect the governor or his government, adding that he had been one of his loyal subjects, stressing that nothing would make him work against Governer Obiano.

But last weekend, the people of Alor in their numbers, protested against their monarch, while calling the state government for his banishment and constitution of a caretaker committee in the community.

However, the community on Friday in a petition to Governor Obiano, the police and DSS, which was made available to reporters in Awka, said some group of thugs had planned to hire other miscreants to cause trouble in the community..

The petition was signed and made available to newsmen in Awka, over the weekend by the Public Relation’s Officer PRO of Alor People’s Assembly (APA), Mr. Maduka Oyedu .

It reads in parts, ”Alor Community has uncovered plans by few persons in the area  to recruit and hire 20 buses of thugs from Nkpor, Obosi, Onitsha and environs to storm the community on Saturday, 5th September, 2020, on pretext that they are protesting in support of the suspended Monarh, Mac-Anthony Elibe Okonkwo.

“But their plans are to cause mayhem following the successful peace protest last Saturday for his removal by the Alor community over his (Monarch’s) clandestine visit to Abuja without the permission of the state government.

“The protest by Alor Community was based on his suspension by the Anambra State Government for desecrating the culture and traditions of the people.”

The statement further said the community was putting the public on alert to be wary of the plot of such group, whose intention was to cause mayhem against the State Government led by Chief Willie Obiano.

“The Alor People’s Assembly (A.P.A.) executives are not aware of the planned mayhem and will never be in support any evil plan by any group of miscreants or their associates.

“We want to put the public on Notice that the group of people who have planned to storm the community on Saturday are not from Alor community.

“And we the people of Alor are calling on our amiable Executive Governor of Anambra, Chief (Dr) Willie Obiano (Akpokuedike -Aguleri), the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. John Abang, and the State Director, DSS to keep their eyes on the planned mayhem in our community on Saturday, 5th September, 2020,” they wrote..