• Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Friday, August 21, 2026
Emerald News Nigeria
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Inside Delta
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Relationship
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Emerald News Nigeria
No Result
View All Result

We’re fully in support of ongoing #EndSARS protests – Nigerian Catholic Bishops

by Emerald Nigeria
October 18, 2020
in Special Report
ShareTweetShareShare

BY SUNNY DAVID

Catholic Bishops in Nigeria have said that they are fully in support of the ongoing action by Nigerian youths who are seeking end to police brutality and general reform of the security system.

The Bishops who spoke under the auspices of Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) said #EndSARS protest was a true representation of the problem in the country and was morally justified.

A statement signed by its President, Most Rev. Augustine Obiora Akubeze, the Bishops said almost everyone in the country had been a victim of police brutality and the injustices perpetrated by officers of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS).

The clerics who threw their weight behind the protesters, said the youths were asserting their constitutional right by demanding for justice and peace for all from “extra-judicial killings, unlawful arrests, profiling of youths as criminals, the invasion of youths privacy by searching phones and laptops without any warrant or any just cause, and the incarceration of many of the youths in the SARS custody without trial”.

“EndSARS goes beyond the SARS and it is morally justified. We support the youths who have taken this step and we caution that they are allowed without any intimidation to exercise their right to peaceful demonstration and should not be provoked or incited to violence,” CBCN said.

Also Read:

Youths humiliate governor, shout him down as he speaks against nationwide protest over bad governance

BREAKING: DSS moves against organisers of August 1 protest, freezes bank accounts as group set to file legal action against UBA

Court demands Police, Lagos government to pay N5 million compensation to Uber driver this happened to on EndSARS anniversary

UNBELIEVABLE! Aggrieved Soludo blasts renowned Catholic priest for mentioning Fulani herdsmen, see details…

The statement made available to newsmen late Saturday evening in Abuja and also made available to our correspondent in Onitsha, said that disbanding SARS and setting up a new outfit called Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT), shows poor judgment on the part of the Federal Government, adding that it is either they are not willing to allow peace and justice prevail, or totally lack understanding of the enormous problems at hand.

According to the Bishops, Nigerians were demanding a total reform of the nation’s police force, adding that there was hardly any Nigerian who has not directly or indirectly encountered the crude and inhumane treatment of the SARS officials.

The statement reads in part: “We the members of the CBCN have followed the protests with keen interest and call on the Federal Government of Nigeria once again to listen to the cry for justice so that peace can reign in our country.

“The protest seems to have a life of its own and it is spreading all over the country; this shows that most Nigerians are facing the same oppression and brutality inflicted by the SARS.

“We urge the Federal Government to fulfil its primary constitutional responsibility of securing life and property of every Nigerian and provide opportunities for our children to realise their God-given potentials.

“The audacity and impunity with which the SARS officials have been operating all the while is a manifestation of the failing State of Nigeria. Various bodies and patriotic Nigerians have expressed the opinion that just ending the SARS will not solve the enormous problems of Nigeria, because it is futile treating symptoms of a disease when the root cause is known”.

The Bishops blamed centralized Police Force in Nigeria as being primarily responsible for the lack of grassroots accountability for the crimes perpetrated by the SARS and their likes.

“We reiterate that restructuring this country is a desirable path to be towed given the various developments in this nation. The knee jerk reaction of the administration by abolishing the SARS and setting up the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team portrays either the absence of an understanding of the entire problem or a lack of sincerity to address the problem.

“The Nigerian Government must realise that what the youths, on behalf of Nigerians, clamour for under the code name #EndSARS is a total reform of the entire Police Force and not a change of name; they call for a reform of all our government institutions and a reform of the entire nation.

“They are asking for a system that will be hard on crimes and criminals in the society within the ambience of the law, while at the same time treating every human being, citizens and visitors alike, with respect and dignity.”

The Clerics further demanded justice for all victims of the SARS and Police brutality, a review of the welfare of the policemen who have been badly deprived by the system, infrastructural development of police barracks, investigation of fraudulent practices by past and present top Police officers especially payment of entitlements to families of deceased officers

Tags: #endsarsCatholic
ShareTweetShareSend
Previous Post

Despite ongoing protests, IGP finalises plans to commence training SWAT members Oct. 19

Next Post

#EndSARS: Police AIG thumbs up for youths, issues directives to commissioners

Related Posts

Lagos Declares Thursday Work-Free for 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day: A Global Cultural Celebration

Lagos Declares Thursday Work-Free for 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day: A Global Cultural Celebration

August 19, 2026
I Want a Mad Man : Ex-Senator Urges Tinubu to Hire ‘Crazy’ Officials Who Will Step on Toes and Fix Nigeria’s Broken Refineries

I Want a Mad Man : Ex-Senator Urges Tinubu to Hire ‘Crazy’ Officials Who Will Step on Toes and Fix Nigeria’s Broken Refineries

August 19, 2026
BREAKING: Anambra Police Declare War On Extortion – CP Launches 24/7 Checkpoint Monitoring

Seme Border row deepens

August 19, 2026
N1.5 Billion or Nothing: Anambra Billionaire’s Kidnappers Play Hardball as Talks Collapse

Troops rescue 14 kidnapped victims in northern Nigeria

August 19, 2026
NSCDC officers survive Sokoto terrorist ambush

NSCDC officers survive Sokoto terrorist ambush

August 19, 2026
2027: Aisha Yesufu warns Atiku over supporters

2027: Aisha Yesufu warns Atiku over supporters

August 19, 2026
Next Post
#EndSARS: Obaseki calls Edo CP on twitter to protect protesters as hoodlums invade protest ground

#EndSARS: Police AIG thumbs up for youths, issues directives to commissioners

Trending

  • News Analysis: Curtailing sickle cell disorder in Delta state

    News Analysis: Curtailing sickle cell disorder in Delta state

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • 2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Osun Poll: Violence Forces ADC Candidate to Flee

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • (Watch Video): Leaked S3x tape of another Nigerian celebrity is shared online, victim reacts as her video goes viral

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • 2Baba’s wife takes key political role in Nigeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigerian Governor Catches LG Chairmen Playing Truant in Surprise Raid

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tantita’s Pipeline Protection Boosts Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employs Over 60,000 Niger Delta Youths — Media Consultant

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oborevwori To Inaugurate Perm Secretaries’ Qtr, Thursday

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING: Tension in Osun as Armed Security Operatives Lay Siege to Speaker’s Residence on Election Day

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘Don’t Fail Your People’: Obasanjo Makes Surprise Visit to Adeleke’s Home, Issues Strong Charge After Landslide Re-election

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Latest Stories

Sokoto Boat Horror: 40 Feared Dead as Vessel Sinks in Goronyo

August 20, 2026

Adeleke Presents Certificate of Return to Tinubu at Aso Villa Amidst Election Victory Celebrations

August 20, 2026

Osun election: Rufai says Wike, APC’s federal might failed

August 20, 2026

Simeone Explains Lookman’s Surprise No.9 Role at Atletico

August 20, 2026

APC Chieftain Challenges Party Loyalty Over Abandoned Road

August 20, 2026

FAAN Clarifies: No Blanket Ban on Uber, Bolt at Nigerian Airports

August 20, 2026

Edo Deputy Governor Splashes N1m Cash on Teen Who Aced WASSCE with Straight As

August 20, 2026

Dangote Drives Nigeria’s Petrol Prices Lower

August 20, 2026

2027 Elections: Christian Group Issues Stern Warning to Politicians Over Ethnic, Religious Campaigns

August 20, 2026

Fake DSS Officer Busted in Abuja – Caught Red-Handed in Tactical Gear, Toy Gun

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Emerald News Nigeria
  • Inside Delta
    • Niger Delta
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Relationship
  • Special Report

© 2024 Emerald News Nigeria.